11/12/2011

patina and texture

Listening to : Toro Y Moi – New Beat

My work has often borrowed from the past and uses texture and distress to place it in past world. I havent ever really thought much about why i do this just that its always been an aesthetic choice that makes me feel comfortable with my work.



This week i went to the Grayson Perry: the Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman show at the british museum. I saw this piece of writing by Perry, near the end of the exhibit.it got me to a thinking.

"Wear, damage, dirt, repair, corrosion and decay are a large part of the language of autrhenticity. We give things that look old the benifit of the doubt. Age lends authority to an object. An aged arrogant inveigled, way in to the grand events of history. My work often borrows the shabby families clothes of the antique so as to lend gravitas to what it has to say. The look of age is also an important component of what we find beautiful."

No comments:

Post a Comment